Designer Outlet Shopping
You can "shop 'til you drop" in New England. Some of New England’s best shopping deals can be found at the massive designer outlets throughout the region featuring some of the top brand names — including Coach, Ralph Lauren/Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, Banana Republic, GAP, and Calvin Klein. Most are easily accessible off major destination routes.
6.35% sales tax
- Clinton Crossing Premium Outlets — Near the coast between New York and Boston, this outlet center has 70 outlets stores including Adidas, Banana Republic, BCBG Max Azria, Brooks Brothers, Coach, Cole Haan, DKNY, Dooney & Bourke, Gap Outlet, J.Crew, Kate Spade, Kenneth Cole, and more. Close to Chamard Vineyards and the Mohegan Sun casino.
- Tanger Outlets — Conveniently located off I-95 on the Connecticut shore between New York and Boston, this pristine outlet center has more than 65 brand name designer brands including J.Crew, New Balance, Williams Sonoma, Waterford Wedgwood, Reebok, Rockport, LOFT Outlet, VF Outlet, Carter’s, Nine West, Hush Puppies Merrell Sebago, Bath & Body Works, Eddie Bauer, Jockey, Rack Room Shoes, and more. Nearby attractions include Essex Steam Train & Riverboat, Foxwoods Resort and Casino, Mohegan Sun, and Mystic Seaport & Aquarium..
5.5% sales tax
- Kittery Outlets — Kittery, Maine — just over the border from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, off Route 95, you’ll find more than 120 major name outlet stores along with the Kittery Trading Post, a 90,000 square foot retail outdoor specialty sports & clothing store that started out as a one-room trading post/gas station in 1938. Close to southern Maine beaches.
- Freeport Outlets — Not far from the seafaring city of Portland, Maine, is the shopping mecca of Freeport, featuring more than 200 shops and businesses centered around the outdoors megastore of L.L.Bean, which is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Be sure to see the statue of the famous “Bean Boot” outside the store’s side entrance! Watch a video of Freeport or L.L.Bean.
6.25% sales tax (No sales tax on clothing under $175)
- Wrentham Village Premium Outlets — This major shopping destination offers a whopping 170 outlets stores including some of the most celebrated brand name designers. Many of the major Boston hotels offer special shopping packages and transportation to and from the center. Wrentham Village Premium Outlets is located on Route 1A in Wrentham, Massachusetts, at the intersection of I-495 — 45 minutes southwest of Boston.
- Lee Premium Outlets in Lee, Massachusetts, are poised at the gateway to the scenic Berkshires region of western Massachusetts. This outlet offers more than 60 designer outlet stores. Conveniently located off Exit 2 of the Massachusetts Turnpike, 125 miles from Boston.
All shopping in New Hampshire is 100% tax free!
- Merrimack Premium Outlets in Merrimack, New Hampshire: 100 outlet stores, including Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, Coach, Cole Haan, DKNY, Elie Tahari, J. Crew, Lucky Brand, Michael Kors, Nike, Polo Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th, and Tommy Hilfiger.
- Settler’s Green Outlet Village in North Conway, New Hampshire, provides more than 60 outlet stores plus nearby crafts and specialty shops in this scenic village. See the North Conway Village Map and Guide for a complete list.
- Near New Hampshire’s Lakes Region, you’ll find 50 designer outlets at the Tanger Outlet in Tilton, New Hampshire. From I-93 take Exit 20, Route 3 East. Tanger Outlet Center is 1/4 mile on the left.
No tax on clothing; 6% state tax on other items
- Manchester Designer Outlets — In the southern portion of Vermont alongside the Green Mountains, you’ll find this unique collection of 30+ outlets in quaint clapboard houses. Shops include Kate Spade, Michael Kors and Tumi (watch video).
- Outside of Burlington, Vermont, explore Essex Outlets & Cinemas featuring more than 20 local Vermont specialty shops, as well as national factory outlet stores, several dining options, and a state-of-the-art stadium-seating movie theater. The complex is located 15 minutes east of downtown Burlington.
Learn more about the great shopping available in each New England state: