About Discover New England
Discover New England (DNE) is the official tourism organization representing the New England region, and is a non-profit cooperative marketing entity funded by the participating states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. DNE’s primary mission is to increase tourism to the New England region from overseas markets — with a particular focus on the core markets of the United Kingdom/Ireland and Germany.
DNE was formed in 1992 when the incumbent Tourism Directors of the respective New England states formed a united front to market collectively to Europe. Outside of the United States, New England is the “brand” recognized by travelers and tour operators, who often do not recognize the names of the individual states. This joint marketing effort has proven to be highly successful and continues to offer an excellent return on investment for the individual states each year. In 2009, over 1.6 million overseas visitors came to New England (6.8% market share with the United States).
The work of Discover New England is focused in the following three areas:
- Raising international consumer, travel trade, and media awareness of New England as a memorable, high-quality, four-season destination;
- Educating the New England hospitality business on how to work with and generate new business from the international market;
- Expanding the New England product offered by international tour operators and US receptives and helping them set up itineraries, market the region, and contract accommodations.
DNE retains travel marketing organizations based in the UK and Germany who represent New England to tour operators, travel trade media, consumer media, and consumers themselves. We work closely with both European organizations and the states’ International Marketing Managers on a regular basis to promote the New England region.
DNE initiatives include the following:
- The Annual Discover New England Tourism Summit and International Marketplace
- Organization of New England Familiarization Trips for tour operators and members of the media
- UK /Ireland / German Travel Trade Outreach
- Discover New England web site
- German language Discover New England web site
- Discover New England Travel Guides
- New England Representation at World Travel Market, International Pow Wow, and ITB Berlin
- New England Representation at Consumer Travel Shows in the UK, Ireland, and Germany
- Ongoing Media Outreach & Support in the UK, Ireland, and German-speaking countries
- Joint Marketing Efforts with International Tour Operators and Businesses
- DNE Partnership Program
- Free Online Training for Thousands of European Travel Agents
- Unique “Pay to Play” opportunities for New England travel suppliers
- Fulfillment of consumer requests for travel information
For more information or to learn how to get involved with the international market, contact us at 603-766-0606 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sue Norrington-Davies, Managing Director
Laurel Williams, Marketing Director
Kathy Scatamacchia, Program Coordinator/FAMS